For those in the mood for some delicious carbs, here you go:
Ingredients for basic scalloped potatoes*
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 3 1/2 cups of sliced potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Blend in the flour and milk slowly (a whisk works well here).
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly to prevent sticking or burning.
- Add salt, pepper, and onion. Remove from heat.
- Spray a casserole dish to prevent sticking. Alternate layers of sliced potatoes with sauce. Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
- UNCOVER potatoes and cook another 30 minutes or until fork tender.
* A cheesy version of scalloped potatoes is also easy to make. Just add a cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese to sauce before layering–or sprinkle cheese on top of potatoes for a crunchy cheese crust. Both work well.
© Wade Kingston