Easy and delicious tomato-based soup.
Yummy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into cubes (mine had been sauteed in mix of olive oil and butter, no batter added, drained and cooled)
- 2 large cans of whole tomatoes (remove cores and break tomatoes up with fingers)
- 2 good sized onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic (smashed, diced, or minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from jar)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings (from jar)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (from jar)
- 2 large baking potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 large carrot (washed and thinly sliced)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt/pepper/Tabasco sauce
Important: Prep all ingredients as listed above before assembling soup.
Start by heating ¼ cup of olive oil in your Le Cruiset (or similar large heavy pot, preferably cast iron) until heated but not smoking.
Cook onions on medium heat until nearly translucent, then add all the garlic and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
Add Italian seasoning, parsley, and two shakes of Tabasco sauce—cook for 1 minute more.
Add chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, carrot, corn, black pepper, and two full glasses of water. (salt may be added later)
Simmer for one hour, stirring as needed to prevent sticking.
Add salt to taste, or salt each bowl individually. Yum, Yum, Yum.
© Wade Kingston