When I lived in Virginia this was a favorite. You would often see it at bake sales and fairs. I wanted this recipe for years and finally got it. (Courtesy of my friend, Ina).
It’s absolutely yummy.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples
Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Combine oil, sugar, and eggs.
- Stir in flour and baking soda.
- Add vanilla, pecans, and apples.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool for 2 hours.
- Prepare frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Boil ingredients in a small saucepan for 2 minutes.
- Set pan in bowl filled with ice water.
- Beat icing until spreading consistency.
- Spread over top of cake.
- Garnish with whole pecans (optional)
© Wade Kingston